Monday, March 8, 2010

my last day


today was my last day taking coumadin.


yes, sir!

i have been taking anti-coagulants everyday since october 1st, 2008. i am so happy to be done with the pills, the blood tests, the ultrasounds, and the doctors visits (which cost us over $30 a month). it will be nice to be more "normal." i can eat whatever i want (like i am going to incorporate green veggies into my diet... we all know that won't happen!), i can take medicine when i get sick, and i don't have to worry about bleeding to death if i cut myself.

but frankly i have mixed emotions about it. weird, i know.

first of all, i am a little nervous. i just hope there aren't any complications and that i don't get another blood clot. that would be inconvenient. second, this whole blood clot adventure has really become part of me and i am sad to leave it behind. it's feels like i am abandoning a part of me, the part of me that is also connected to romania, which makes my heart hurt a little. it's hard to explain, but it really does make me sad. my blood clot has shaped me as a person and i feel like now i will be pretending that it never happened. this must sound psychotic... maybe i should start a support group for blood clot survivors (haha).

anyways, even though i'm not sure if i want to cry or run around screaming with delight... i think a celebration is in order none the less. maybe i will buy that colorful swim suit, go out to dinner, have a party with a pinata!, or buy a new spring outfit. maybe all four?!? hmmm... this will be fun.

i think i will wait until the weekend to have a more legit celebration.

who wants to join me?

3 comments:

Jessica said...

Huzzah! That's exciting! I vote you do all four, for sure! And if you start that support group, sign me up. ;)

Katie said...

jessica-
we HAVE to get together and swap blood clot stories... soon!!

Caresse said...

Congratulations! What an exciting day! Hope everything is going great!