Thursday, May 3, 2012

1st year: DONE


i left my last day of classes with a meaningful star fish, a box full of nice notes, and a mixed wave of emotions. i'm super excited for the summer, but it is so sad to say good-bye to my incredible teachers and classmates! in my last class of the day we all stayed an extra 30 minutes... nobody wanted to leave. yeah we are NERDS! or just a bunch of good good friends. i better see them around next year.

i still can't believe that i am in grad school. i am living my dream. :) it sure has been a lot of reading and writing! i have read thousands of pages of books and articles and i wrote 32 papers this school year. 32. yeah i counted. each paper has seemed hard and impossible while writing it, but conquering and turning in those papers feels GREAT! it sure helps if the grade i get corresponds with that feeling, too.

my field placement has been quite the learning experience this year. i have been totally out of my element working with these teenage boys addicted to drugs. TOTALLY! i have a whole new vocabulary when it comes to drugs and i have never heard so much swearing in my life. but really, i have met some great kids that are so motivated to change... they are inspiring! i can't believe what some of these kids have had to live through... my heart aches for them. i have learned a whole bunch about addiction. some of my clients were beyond challenging and some were downright delightful to work with. i have learned so much from my co-workers, too. they are wonderful people that have helped me along, especially my dear co-intern tiffany. she is the BOMB!

my first year has been everything i hoped for. it really has! i loved my classes this year and my challenging field placement. my teachers and co-workers are amazing and i have learned so much. i have been stretched and challenged, and i have grown in many ways. this is an amazing experience! i am so glad i am doing clinical social work and doing it at simmons college. what a great program!? i have met some great great people that will go on to change the world!! i feel so honored and blessed to be calling these people my colleagues. i have also made some awesome friends this year that i feel i will have for a lifetime.

i have put a lot into this year of school, but i am walking away with so much more.

2 comments:

Erin said...

wow... the year sounds amazing! You are awesome and you are already helping so many people! I hope everything continues to go well for you guys!

April said...

what a great feeling to have finished year one. it sounds awesome! :) so proud of you!