Friday, October 19, 2012

the button of my belly


the button of my belly is in distress!

isn't that hilarious??  i think so.

well, turns out i have an umbilical hernia, aka herniated belly button or belly button hernia.  it all started from that one time at the lake when i was tubing.  when the rain rolled in, i went to change out of my wet swimming suit and there was the weirdest thing going on with my stomach.  it looked like a whopper (the malt ball, not the burger) was sitting on my abs right below my belly button.  i was totally freaked out and quickly pushed it back in and tried to forget about it, which means it was all i could think about.

ever since that weird day, i have had recurring belly button issues.  sometimes i can feel my stomach get tight and i can feel the whopper climbing back to the surface, so i have to push it in again and it feels really weird.  after this was happening for a good three months, i finally went to a doctor about it and turns out... i need surgery.  he felt my stomach for all of two seconds and said, "You have a belly button hernia.  I can fix that."  nice. sounds great, doc!  i was sooo relieved that it had a name.

the surgery is scheduled for the monday right after thanksgiving.  so i end up getting at least a full week off of classes and my internship.  (fun stuff!)  my momma is even going to extend her stay to take care of me. (did you know my family is coming here for thanksgiving?!?!!  only 32 more days... i'm crazy excited! i think a paper chain countdown will be constructed this weekend.) i imagine us breaking out the christmas music & decorations and baking delicious treats, or maybe my mom will be doing those things while i lay on the couch.  there will at least be lots of chatting, chick-flicks, and knitting to our hearts' content. 

man... surgery is going to be awesome.

No comments: