Sunday, June 15, 2014

He's a listener.


hey there dad.

thanksgiving 2012


did you know that i think about you all of the time?

anytime i see a short man, i think of you.  anytime i see mint milanos, i think of you.  anytime i see a harley davidson, i think of you.  anytime people talk about guns, i think of you.  anytime i see a basset hound or a corgi, i think of you.  anytime i play catch, i think of you.  anytime i see a man tearing up at the pulpit, i think of you.  anytime i see malt milkshakes on a menu, i think of you.  anytime i see beautiful country, i think of you.  anytime jeremy gets sick of shopping with me, i think of you.  anytime i eat plain chocolate chips, i think of you.  anytime i think about sending a scripture to the family, i think of you.  anytime i doubt myself, i think of you. 

i am so lucky to have you as my dad.  you have shaped me into the person i am today and will continue shaping me into the person i am supposed to become.  one thing that sticks out in my mind is our "heart to hearts."  i love them.  they started years ago whenever my teenage angst would suddenly pop up and cause all sorts of disruption.  we would have a calm heart to heart after the fact, talk about actions, consequences, goals, dreams, and whatever else was on our minds.  love was always the underlying message you would portray even when i was in trouble.  i found these talks to be incredibly meaningful and helpful in navigating the qualms of young adult life. 

now our heart to hearts usually look like two close friends discussing more than the surface stuff.  i love how our relationship has morphed over the years as i have grown.  you talk with me like my ideas, world concerns, and ideological questions matter.  they matter not only because i am your favorite daughter, it's more than that which i am finding hard to explain.  i think it's because you talk with me like i have something to offer or to teach.  you listen with an open mind and willingly remind me that you don't have all of the answers or that you aren't always right.  and in that precise moment, we learn together.

i hope i can cultivate the calm, humble, and loving way you interact with people.  i hope i can teach and parent with love.  i hope i can continue to follow my dreams like you always taught me to.  you are an incredible individual and an even better dad.  i am so blessed to have you in my life.

i love you.


No comments: