Thursday, October 2, 2008

Another Adventure

So my left leg has been hurting for quite a while... well since last Tuesday and the pain has been getting more intense as the time has gone on. My leg hurts when I stand, when I sit, and when I walk, so basically all of the time. I kept thinking that it would go away, but then I really started to look like Quasimodo as I limped around Iasi. For the quick synopsis... I have two blood clots in my left leg. The official diagnosis is this for all ouy nurses and mediacl people that might be interested: Big Popliteal Clot and Superficial Saphenous Clot. True story! Robby (our field facilitator) and I are in Buchrest right now which is the capital of Romania and we got here yesterday morning. We are staying in the Mission President's home for at least until Monday and then depending how things are looking we might go back to Iasi. There is an American doctor here in Buchrest and there was even a member of the church that was here for only weeks that has been taking good care of me. We went to the clinic yesterday and then we had to go to the hospital to get the scan on my leg to confirm if I really had blood clots. That was an interesting experience and I am glad that I got out of there before they hooked me to an IV and made me stay for 5 days. Instead of the IV that the hospital wanted to put in me, I have to give my self shots of Enoxapurin in the stomach twice a day. Hopefully I wont have to do the shots for more than ten days. I am also taking these pills that are equivalent to the American Coumadin. These pills as well as the shots are supposed to be thinning my blood. I will probably have to take these pills for at least 3 to 6 months and possibly my whole life. That depends on genetic tests that will be run after I get back to the United States. I will have to have two blood tests a week for about a month to make sure that my blood levels are in the right places and to adjust the medicine if needed. After that we will be able to go to one blood test a week. The plan is to get the blood tests in Iasi and then call Dr. Hansen since Dr. Brady is returing to the States on Saturday and let him know what they are and then he will adjust my dosage. I am still in a considerable amount of pain and I kind of just hobble places. :) Luckily I don't have too many places to be now that I am in Bucharest. The Mission President and his wife have been amazing. I am so grateful that they are letting me stay here. It has been so incredible that things have gone so well considering that we are in Romania. I am very blessed and I know that my Heavenly Father is watching over me. Thank you for all those that have been praying for me. I will try to post pictures of this crazy adventure soon....the computer that I am using here at the Mission President's home doesn't have the right slot for my picture card.

7 comments:

Rhett Maurice Billen said...

Katie!!! We miss you so much and we're all praying for you. Your positive attitude is such a great example to all of us. It's amazing that you can refer to this experience as an adventure instead of a crisis or catastrophe. We hope you're back soon, and we think of you every time we're getting shredded. Pa!

Barb said...

Katie it has been a wild adventure!
We love you and are so happy you are getting good medical care. It has been fun to talk to you more!
xo mom & dad

Leslie said...

Good Luck Katie! We will keep you in our prayers- on the positive side --It's good that it's something that can be taken care of with just medication, I guess... You are such a great person and it always shows in your amazing attitude!! :)

Rach said...

Buna! Oh Katie...we miss you so much! I'm glad that they figured out what was wrong and that you are on your way to getting better. We think about you all the time and miss your cheerful attitude! You are so brave and I am impressed with you optimistic attitude--you are such a trooper! We are praying for you. I hope I will see you soon! And...we'll wait for you before we move on to level 2...haha. Just a side note--the workers are getting way better and Ionut (from the hospital) is at the orphanage now. pa pa!

darci said...

Katie, your mom and dad have kept us posted! I'm so sorry you have to go through all of this! It's supposed to be your fun time. Hang in there, hopefully they're also treating the pain. We are saying lots and lots of prayers for you. Love, The California Creers

Chris and Elaine said...

Katie, we are so glad you got the medical attention you need. We are praying for you. The Albrights

Tara said...

Katie!!! I can't even believe what you are going through right now. Keep your chin up and just know that the Creers, Paddocks, Pierces and a whole lotta people are praying for you!!! I know you will be fine and recover quickly. WE love you and can't even wait for the wedding. (It will be here before you even know it!)