Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Plans, Plans, Plans

I just recently decided to change the future plans for my education.

Gasp! It's true!

I was going to get my masters in Social Work, until about a week and a half ago.

I have always been interested in therapy and counseling, and my main goal has been to eventually have a private practice of my own. After realizing that I really didn't care to be trained in public policy, adoption, child protective services, etc, which are included in Social Work, I began to look into Marriage and Family Therapy. This field solely focuses on counseling (dream come true!), but in order to apply to the programs I have to take the GRE. Yuck! But I am really excited about this new direction. It will be really good!

So the good news...

After I graduate, I am taking a year off of school! Yay! I will try to find a job somewhat in the counseling field, study for and take the GRE, read books for fun, work-out instead of write papers, and craft (is that really a verb? we will pretend.) instead of cram for tests and finals. If the whole job search doesn't work out, then I will start taking photography seriously, because that would be fun.

Needless to say, I am so excited for a little break.
But have no fear, I will enter the official learning world again in Fall of 2011 if all things go according to "The Plan."

"The Plan" can be complicated. False. It is complicated. It starts with Jeremy graduating in April 2011 (which is why I am taking a year off of school rather than running away to some other school without my sweet husband). Then Jeremy will apply to Dental School and I will apply to MFT Master's programs at the same Universities and hope (and pray) that we both get accepted to the same schools. If not, Jeremy's schooling will take precedent. Kind of sad how that works, but he will be raking in the dough with his career and I will be doing therapy more for my own sanity and of course to better the lives of others. (Don't therapists sometimes need their own therapists, so maybe my future career will actually lead me to insanity.) We really aren't even thinking about this possibility (of us not getting into the same schools), because I am choosing to plan for success! Not failure.

Hopefully, we will both get into the same schools and then we can be drowning in papers and tests, as well as debt at that point, together.


3 comments:

jeremy said...

I hope everything works out in "the plan". But if not, the Lord will have something else planned for us!

Lisa said...

It's true how everything works out in the end. Sometimes it's not exactly how we had it planned, but it's in line with the "big plan".

Erica said...

We did the whole applying to grad school at the same time as well. Fortunately, I did get into schools were we moved, but I ended up working anyway. But I decided to study something else, so it all works out in the end.