Thursday, December 2, 2010

Who is Parson Brown?


So I have been listening to LOTS of Christmas music
, pretty much constantly, and I LOVE it. But I have one question, actually Jeremy has a question (he asked me this this morning while we were listening to Christmas music before we left for work), who is Parson Brown? -you know in "Winter Wonderland." The song goes like so:

In the meadow we can build a snowman
Then pretend that he is Parson Brown
He'll say, "Are you married?" We'll say, "No man
But you can do the job when you're in town"

Well, I thought Parson Brown was just some buddy of theirs that was a priest or something since we was going to marry them when he was in town. Well, I searched it and here was the best answer (determined by voters... i guess.) i found:

"Parson Brown" is the term used to talk about a typical angelican priest of the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries. "Parson Brown" is not an actual person (though he might have been at some time), but a figure of speech, like "John Doe" is an unidentified male and "Charley" is a watchman. "Parson" by itself means minister.

Learn something new everyday.

1 comment:

Monique said...

Oh I am so glad you did research/a post abou this!! This song comes on almost everytime I'm in my car, and I have been wondering the same thing for the last week!! I always plan on looking it up when I get home, but then I forget about it as I try to remember to get the mail...