Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Cinderella Ate My Daughter


I saw an article today about this book:

Cinderella Ate My Daughter


The article consisted of a quick look at the book plus an interview with the author. This looks like an awesome sociological read. It may be something you would roll your eyes at... but even so, I still find it fascinating. It is interesting to see how media and entertainment can shape the views and thinking patterns of children and even toddlers. I think it is important to talk to kids about the sneaky tactics of the media and advertising today... or else we will have a generation that believes you have to be a size 0 or else you are fat. Or that girls are for cleaning & cooking and boys are for mowing the lawn & building things. I can build things... Jeremy can cook and I want our future kiddies to be able to explore all of the hobbies they are interested in, not just the ones deemed gender appropriate. I like books that make me think and evaluate the things that influence me. The book has been officially added to my Amazon wish list along with some other great sociological reads I stumbled upon.


2 comments:

Erica said...

That looks like a fantastic read. But who's surprised that you and I would like sociological books?

And as you know, I'm all about breaking those gender roles.

Amy said...

i never did like cinderella. not that that's surprising.

but honestly, cinderella eating josie -- that's a valid concern of mine. and it's not just the media. it's other children who listen to and repeat the media because the parents of those other children aren't paying attention or don't care.

it bugs.