Monday, March 12, 2012

outside


today was a BEAUTIFUL day (62 degrees!!). it was just perfect.
when i got home from work i was dying to run outside in the sunshine and so were my white legs!

so i took off. the plan was to run wherever, for however long i wanted. i didn't want to feel trapped by a set route, or time, or anything. so i just ran, listened to my breathing (the passing cars, too), and loved every minute. it was great! when i finished i had no idea how far i had run or how long i had been gone. i felt tired, but i wasn't dying. it felt so good that i figured i must have run only 2 miles, but when i mapped it online it was nearly 4. i was hoping for 3, so i was pleasantly surprised.

it was my first run outside since we moved to boston (over 7 months!!). and you know what?? running outside instead of on a treadmill was way more enjoyable (although i tend to run slower... oh well). i was running more for me, instead of a certain distance, time, or number of calories burned. i tend to focus on the numbers on the treadmill instead of my body. i set up all sorts of rules in my head about when i slow down or lower the incline, etc. i end up playing mind games the entire workout instead of actually enjoying it. running outside just got me in a wonderful place. i am so excited for the beautiful weather ahead. i want to run for me more often.

running outside is my new favorite.

No comments: