Thursday, March 8, 2012

uninformed


well super tuesday came and went and don't worry... we both voted.

i don't really pay much attention to politics. i find that people mostly base their opinions on the crazy things they hear about the opposing candidates and they continue to listen only to the stories that fuel their current views. from the candidates there are usually unrealistic promises made on all sides as well as a lot of scrutiny and negativity (and so much money that it kind of makes me sick). it's safe to say that politics is something i largely avoid.

so to help me out i called my mom and asked her who i should vote for just to make sure. my parents are more knowledgeable when it comes to the political sphere of life and we generally have the same views. but i found that their expertise was more helpful when we lived in the same state, because there were two other items on the massachusetts ballot that i had NO IDEA about. luckily, i had asked jeremy who he voted for so i made sure i voted for different people so that our votes would cancel each other out.

even with my little scheme i felt terrible walking out of that fire station. i just picked random names. sure i exercised my right to vote... but i was so uninformed i felt irresponsible. next time i will try to do more research, so i know a little more about what and who is on the ballot.

2 comments:

Charisse Baldwin said...

I tried to figure out what would be on the ballot before voting and couldn't find anything, except of course the presidential candidates. I was pretty surprised when there were other things on the ballot and equally disappointed in myself. However, maybe there is some validation in not being able to find the info???

Katie said...

that DOES make me feel better. thanks charisse!