Tuesday, February 12, 2013

pick your fast


lent starts tomorrow!
  will you join me in giving up something (or adding something) to enrich your life? i don't recommend giving up desserts though, because deprivation is not the answer.  come on, it will be fun.  and you have a whole day to ponder and decide what to do. after much thought and internal deliberation i have decided that for this year i'm going to give up:

reading strangers' blogs.

sometimes the blogging world can suck you in.  (am i the only one?) i bounce from blog to blog and read about the lives of people i don't even know. this isn't an everyday occurrence for me, i haven't the time to get that sucked in. but every once in a while i do.  i waste time, i start to want what others have (clothes, house,  hair, skinny body, etc.), i forget my own strengths and accomplishments and blessings, and i come out the whole thing feeling crappy about myself.  it is not a healthy thing.  i think i will try to add more of the not so great stuff on here as it comes along, so i don't contribute to the problem of creating some picture perfect reality that doesn't exist.  (like right now i have a monster zit that i destroyed and its taking over my face! argh!)

 so why not have a little reprieve?  that sounds so refreshing to me.  i will dedicate more time to living instead of looking and doing instead of dreaming.  i can't wait! so from tomorrow until Easter i will give up reading strangers' blogs. i even deleted the blog links on my sidebar.  if i really want to read them after lent, i'm sure i will be able to find them.  let the blogging fast begin!

what will you give up?  (or add?)

2 comments:

Barb said...

I am so glad you are being so good with Lent. For lent I am giving up doing Lent... haha xoxoxo

April said...

i love this! i totally get caught up too - and then I get all discouraged. thankfully we realize that, and we are wise enough to stop. haha! love love love that you do lent. too bad I read this today and i'm late and that is my cop-out. :)