Monday, February 4, 2013

survey says...


I sent Riley a survey to fill out at his half-way mark (just last week).  
 He managed to get around to it and emailed it back to us today.


Here's what Riley had to say about being 
a missionary for a whole year:

The Short Version:
Yearly Reflections: This has been a crazy fast year. I look back and think about how much has happened, how many people I've met, how many people I've grown to love. It is nuts. Being a missionary has brought me the most joy. I love it. Everyday I wake up and do all I can to bring people closer to Christ. What a great calling.  Nutshell: This year was hard. This year was fun. This year was immensely fulfilling. My hope: This next year doesn't go quite as fast.

The Full Survey: 
1. So how has the mission been so far?  
Incredibly rewarding.  Watching people's lives change as they accept the restored gospel is marvelous.  There have been disappointments but the joy outweighs all else. 

2. Has it been harder than you thought? Easier?  
Harder.  I didn't expect the disappointments.  I expected rejection but not the sorrow and frustration that comes from it.  Doing all you can to help a person come closer to Christ, closer to happiness and watching them turn back from the edge instead of taking the leap of faith is heartbreaking.  When they don't stall though and make the leap it is all worth it.

3. What has been your most favorite experience?  Your most spiritual? 
Favorite: Listening to B. Rak bear testimony about the Book of Mormon.  Hearing him say that he knew it was true was wonderful, joyous.  Spiritual: Setting some lofty goals.  I fasted and prayed to know if they were in line with God's will.  They were.  I felt the Spirit tell me that the goals I was setting were what God wanted me to do.  Knowing the goals you are setting are not only church-approved but God-approved gives you such confidence that He will help you achieve them.

4. How has the food been? Have you had to eat lots of gross veggies so far? How do you eat that gross stuff? Have you been learning to like them? 
Grossest thing:  Pork from the pig's leg complete with skin and hair.  Yeah, hair too.  I forced it down.  Almost wanted to force it back up too.  The greens:  They are still a chore but they don't make me gag so it's easy money.  How do I eat it?  I put it in my mouth.  I chew.  I swallow.  Aka I don't think about it, I just do it.  Some of the food you learn to like, some of it you learn to not think about.

5. What has been the funniest experience? The scariest? 
Funniest:  Watching E. Barfuss (epitome of a macho man) trying to get rid of a cockroach and screaming his head off.  Best video ever.  Scariest:  Chiangmai.  We were just going on a casual elephant ride through the hills when a tiger charges us.  It leaps into the air to tackle us off the pachyderm.  I start saying, "I'm going down."  I hear my brother's voice, "Clip out! clip out!"  Then the guide shoots it dead mid-leap.  I didn't tell you before because I thought you'd get really worried about me.  That and it's also not true.  Gotcha!  Legit Scariest:  When B. Rod couldn't get the words right to baptize his wife.  After about the 4 time I thought he was going to give up and bail.  It was a sweaty 5 minutes.  Worst feeling.

6. What’s your favorite thing about being a missionary? Least favorite? 
Favorite: The relationships we build with investigators, members and other missionaries.  The bond that is forged is so unique, so strong.  Love.  Least:  Moving.  You spend all your time building these great relationships and then have to peace out.  Awful. 

7.  When did you know you were going to serve a mission? 
It was never a question.  I always wanted to do it.  Watching Sam serve solidified it. 

8.  Do you know your family misses you and loves you A TON?! 
They holler at me like they do so I guess that means they really do!  Yeah, I know.  Our family rocks.

And that is the end of it... straight from the boy in Thailand.  What a stud!  I'm so proud of you little brother!  Keep up the great work Riley.  Unlike you... I hope this year flies by.  I miss you. 
 

No comments: