Monday, February 25, 2013

Your Body Rocks: Day 1



Naturally we are doing special things at my internship to try to raise awareness and provide accurate information to friends and family members.  I thought I would join in on the good old blog to promote some self-love around here.  Each day this week I will issue a challenge (ideas from the the NEDA website), something you can do to promote a healthy body image, because I am sure we could all learn to love our bodies a little more.

Challenge #1:
Don't weigh yourself for the rest of the week.

Why should some number mean so much?  Step off the scale this week and if you are feeling particularly brave, toss the scale FOREVER.  Yes, I am serious.  There was a time when I would weigh myself 2-3 times every day.  I would be having a great day and I would jump on the scale just to see how much I weighed.  Almost every time the number just wasn't low enough and I would become angry and sad.  Jeremy noticed the immediate mood shift and started hiding the scale.  When we moved, we decided to toss it; it wasn't doing much good.  Tossing the scale didn't magically make me love my body more (that takes work!), but the number has become less important.  At my internship, we often have funerals for scales. We have our patients bring in their scales, write a good-bye letter on them, and then throw them away.  It is a step towards refusing to let that number have so much power.  You are worth so much more than the number on the scale.  Don't let it become the way you measure how you feel about yourself.

2 comments:

Natalie said...

Love this Katie -- looking forward to the rest of your challenges :)

Megan said...

You're going to be a great social worker! I love how compassionate you are.