Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Let's Talk About Racism


This topic is very dear to my heart.

It's something that I was interested in even as a child (when I wanted Addy, not Samantha), was horrified by in middle school, studied throughout college, and continue to ponder now.  And then I saw this and realized I need to do more than just ponder these things. 

I tend to have these emotionally charged discussions with people that are close to me, but I don't go beyond that.  I want to be an ally.  A true ally. That means I need to do something.  I need to speak up.  I need to advocate for my brothers and sisters who are consistently being oppressed. 

So please, do the world a favor and start doing your homework. Know that racism exists, not just between individuals, but it is present systemically.  Understand your privilege.  Realize your bias and work to change it. Apologize when you make a mistake.  DO SOMETHING about it.

I have gathered some pieces that are circulating the internet that have helped me better understand the realities of what's going on and what I can do about it.

Franchesca Ramsey on How to be an Ally

#CrimingWhileWhite on Twitter

#AliveWhileBlack on Twitter

Melissa Harris-Perry's Blog

Stages of What Happens When There's Injustice Against Black People

Across America, whites are biased and don't even know it

What my bike has taught me about White Privilege

White America's Ignorant Bliss

Police Officers and Racial Bias in the Decision to Shoot

Why I Can't Believe Darren Wilson

I Fit the Description

I will keep adding articles above as I find them.


1 comment:

Unknown said...

I have been starting to do some reading on this topic, mostly about the darren wilson case. In that particular case I have a hard time believing that the color of his skin was the reason he killed him. I just imagine if the same scenario happened and it was a white man, I think he probably would have pulled the trigger as well. But I guess no one knows that but himself. I hope that doesn't come out rude, just after thinking and reading both sides of the argument that is where my opinion landed.
However, I do think you are right that there is bias and I think it's great that you are being an ally and speaking out about it. Thanks for sharing more articles for me to look at, I will have to give them all a read!