Sunday, October 2, 2016

Stratton Mountain


Yesterday, Laura and I climbed Stratton Mountain along the Appalachian Trail.
I loooove climbing mountains!  I feel so alive on mountain tops.  It really is one of my favorite things.  Dave dropped us off at the trail head off of Kelly Stand Road at about 7:45 and we were off.  It was cool to hike along the Appalachian trail and think about the many miles and states it covers.  I was hoping to see some really stinky thru hikers (hikers doing the WHOLE Appalachian Trail), but we just saw a slow couple from New Hampshire.  It only took us an hour and half to reach the top and was a much more pleasant hike compared to Mt. Equinox. 

It was overcast and a little rainy. It didn't bother us a bit during the hike because of the coverage the trees offered.  Once we got to the top though we were in a cloud with constant mist.  I climbed to the top of the fire tower - the exact spot where Benton MacKaye had the inspiration to create the Appalachian Trail.  I couldn't see any of the surrounding mountains, but I got an awesome view of the tree tops.  Then we took the gondola down to the ski resort, had a quick snack at the deli, and Jeremy (and Gwen) picked us up in a nice warm car.  It was the loveliest way to start a Saturday.





I can't wait to do it next summer with Gwen and Jeremy!

No comments: