Tuesday, March 8, 2011

and so it begins...

lent is what i am talking about.

do you know anything about lent? i know a few things, but i am no expert. it's a christian tradition of sacrificing something for Christ. it starts on ash wednesday (tomorrow) and goes until easter. it symbolizes the fasting Christ did for 40 days before his public ministry. it is a time meant to grow closer to God and become more Christ-like. mormons don't traditionally participate in lent, but hey, why not?

this year for lent i am giving up sweets, more specifically candy, cake, ice cream, cookies, brownies, etc. (i tried the same thing in 2008 and failed miserably after 4 days, maybe i can be better this time around.) i'm still going to have syrup on my waffles and eat honey-nut cheerios - so i'm not skipping out on everything sugar, but i'm just cutting out the extra treats that i really could do without. i gave up chocolate last year with my mom and it worked out, so hopefully i will be able to do it- so far, so good!

lent officially starts tomorrow... but i'm going to be home for my mom's birthday in a couple of weeks, which means we will have delicious wafer cake that i just can't miss out on. so i am starting my lent today, because i want to eat cake with the fam. i personally think it is an excellent solution.

are you giving anything up?

3 comments:

Barb said...

I am in... I am giving up sweets with a little variation, a one week reprieve while on a cruise.

April said...

good for you...I'm definitely not giving up sweets - i tried that and succeeded for a year and a half - but it just wasn't fun. so, you be healthy and look good, and I'll not be healthy and wish I was as good at sacrificing as you! oh, and congrats on grad school - you two are doing GREAT things!

{Erica} said...

I'm giving up all sugar and carbs.

p.s. my grandma always made me "Chocolate log" cake...same thing as your wafer cake...different name (husband thinks the name we call it doesn't make it sound too appealing :D)