Thursday, January 7, 2016

Goals of 2016


Here are some things I want to LEARN this year:


How to Tell Time
I can't tell time on a watch.  Well, I guess I can, I am just not very quick at it.  I am really good at the minute hand, but I really struggle to figure out what the hour is.  I usually assume it's whatever number is closest to the little hand and unfortunately that is not how it always works.  There are usually a lot of context clues with what hour it is (and digital clocks everywhere which enable me to cheat), so I think that is why I have gotten by for so long without knowing.  I figure now is the perfect time to master this skill.  I am already off to a good start this morning since I downloaded an app called ClockMaster.  It's for children, but I think it will do the trick.

How to do Winged Eyeliner
Because why not?  It will take some time, but I think even I can learn how to do it.  I will turn to YouTube to be my teacher and then practice, practice, and practice of course. Maybe I will even throw in wearing lipstick along with this challenge since they are kind of related.  They are both about just deciding you are the type of person that wears winged eyeliner or lipstick and then just rocking it!  Realistically, I may not be able to leave the house with the combination of the two, but I think I may be able to manage if I experiment with one at a time. 

How to be Selfless
I have spent the last 27 years basically only worrying about myself.  Am I happy?  Am I following my dreams?  Am I becoming the person I want to be?  Am I developing talents and skills I want to have?  Blah, blah, blah.  This slightly shifted when I got married (almost 7 years ago, if we can believe that) and started thinking in "we" sometimes instead of always in "I."  But Jeremy is a self-sufficient adult, so while we communicate, share, and create a life together, adding a helpless infant to the mix will be completely different.  I don't think of myself as great at sacrificing or putting others needs before my own... so this is the year that I will start that journey.  I'm already doing daily injections of Lovenox every night to keep this baby safe (thanks blood mutation), so there's a step in the right direction.

How to Create with Wreckless Abandon More Frequently
This is one I have hoped for for a while.  I am getting better at it.  I am caring less about the perfection of the end result and focusing more on enjoying the process of creating.  Deciding to start kicking perfectionism in the butt was one of the best things I ever did for myself.  I think what I really want to focus on this year would be to create more frequently.  I find so much joy in it.  I want it in my life more.  From knitting to drawing to calligraphy to painting to dancing and whatever other creative outlets I gather along the way, let's have more of it.  I better make this my focus before the baby comes because that selflessness might take over this one at times when a little one is around.




2016 is going to be AWESOME!  Let's do this!!

No comments: